Wednesday 23 December 2009

Gathering thoughts in the snow

Its been one hell of a time since I last wrote, with a series of disasters and problems that have prevented me from either getting online or getting out of the house.  Being snowed in has been a stressful time (we are on day 5 now), and not being able to use my laptop because of contracting a Trojan has added to the stress.  Last week I thought my brain was going to explode!  I didn't realise how much I was addicted to the internet until I couldn't use it.

Now its all fixed and tomorrow we are hoping the lane will be melted enough for us to escape.

It has been a strange time.  A time, oddly, for reflection, in spite of going out of my mind with stress.  A time for considering what is important, and where I want to go next.  So I am gathering plans for next year, making a strategy, clarifying what is important to me, what nurtures my creativity, and where I want to go with my writing.  One thing I do want to continue with is this blog.  I love it, and I love the feedback I get.  So thank you to everyone who has been so kind about my work.

It is also weird to be commercially paralysed in the run up to Christmas.  Plenty of things just have not got done.  It has made me focus on exactly how out of control this whole present-buying, food-consuming, decoration one-upmanshipping season is.  There came a point when I just thought - sod it.  If it doesn't get done, well, it doesn't get done.  There is not a lot I can do about it, so why get in a state?

What I would really like to do as a result is start a campaign for a Present-free Christmas.  Okay, maybe not for the kids, but for us adults.  I mean, really, do we need it?  Lets give our time to one another instead. Let's be together instead. It would be good for the environment, and good for our wallets as well.  Maybe I'll set up a Facebook page.....

Anyway, Merry Christmas Everyone, where ever you are, and a very happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment